Do You Need an HR Certification to Get a Job?
Published on October 15, 2014 by Staff Writer
Human Resources is a great career if you enjoy helping create an enjoyable work culture. Employees are the heart of an organization and locating, hiring, training and keeping them is a top concern. HR professionals work with management and employees to reach personal and organizational goals.
HR is a dynamic career choice. It combines people skills with the technical and legal aspects of employment, training, compensation and retention to benefit the individual and the organization.
If being a member of the HR department appeals to you, there are a couple of things you need to know to get into the field.
Entry-level HR jobs generally require at least a bachelor’s degree in business or human resources. Upper level jobs will usually require a master’s degree and experience.
Professional certifications can show your interest and dedication to the industry. Certifications are generally not required, but they can help your resume stand out. There are several different professional HR certifications available.
The most recognized professional HR certifications are through the HR Certification Institute (HRCI). All of their certifications require education and/or experience and passing an exam.
Professional in Human Resources (PHR®)
This certification is designed for individuals early in their career and focuses on HR practices in the U.S. It demonstrates technical and operational knowledge of HR practices, laws and regulations.
Eligibility requirements to take the PHR certification exam are:
- At least 1 year of HR experience and a master’s degree, or
- At least 2 years of HR experience and a bachelor’s degree, or
- At least 4 years of HR experience and a high school diploma
Senior Professional in Human Resources (SPHR®)
The SPHR certification is aimed at experienced professionals who are involved in strategic issues and the planning of HR policies for an organization. It demonstrates a depth and breadth of knowledge in all HR functions and how it impacts the overall organization.
Eligibility requirements for the SPHR certification exam are:
- At least 4 years of HR experience and a master’s degree, or
- At least 5 years of HR experience and a bachelor’s degree, or
- At least 7 hears of HR experience and a high school diploma
Global Professional in Human Resources (GPHR®)
The GPHR certification is a global credential that validates HR skills and knowledge for those working in organizations that operate in multiple countries. The focus is on globalization strategies and HR policies, global growth and organizational processes.
Eligibility requirements for the GPHR certification exam are:
- At least 2 years of global HR experience and a master’s degree, or
- At least 3 years of HR experience (2 being global experience) and a bachelor’s degree, or
- At least 4 years of HR experience (2 being global experience) with less than a bachelor’s degree
The Society for Human Resource Management (SHRM) is a popular professional association and will begin to offer certifications in 2015.
- SHRM Certified Professional (SHRM-CPTM)
- SHRM Senior Certified Professional (SHRM-S CPTM)
These certifications will also have education and experience requirements.
HR is a great career if you enjoy working with people. While most positions will have educational requirements, adding a certification can help you get noticed in the application process.
- POSTED IN: