Why Get a Degree in Accounting?
Published on March 6, 2013 by Staff Writer
Contributed by Laura Lee, Accounting Program Chair, Broadview University
As I sat down to write this blog post, I started thinking back to why I chose to pursue a degree in Accounting. Like most students, my main concern was being able to find a job when I graduated, but I soon learned there were more things that needed to be considered. Did I have the necessary skills to be successful in this field? Would my degree program allow me to work in this field while remaining in the area in which I wanted to live? Was there a demand for this field or would I have a degree in an area of study which was unemployable? When choosing to pursue a degree it is important to make sure all of the “numbers” add up to what is important to you. You may be surprised to learn a degree in Accounting may do just that.
5 Reasons to get a degree in Accounting:
- You have been working on the skills needed to be successful in the accounting arena since your days in the sandbox – leadership, communication and problem solving.
- Accounting is part of every industry. whatever your interest, accounting can take you there. Try to think of an industry that would not employ accountants.
- Accountants are needed in every state and in every city in the country, allowing you the freedom to live and work anywhere in the world.
- There is always a demand for accounting professionals, good economy or bad. The Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) expects employment to grow by 16% from 2010-2020. The median annual salary for an accountant was $62,850 in 2011.
- Accounting is the foundation for keeping money matters under control. Companies communicate in dollars and cents and accounting is an integral part of this communication. Our personal financial matters revolve around money and by understanding our assets and liabilities we can position ourselves to survive the good times and the bad.
By choosing to major in accounting, you are choosing to study in a field that will always be in demand and will help position yourself for the future. If you would like to learn more about how a degree in accounting can be beneficial to you, contact Broadview University.
- POSTED IN: