5 Reasons to Become a Vet Tech Now
Published on June 27, 2016 by Staff Writer
If you’re an animal lover looking for an exciting and fulfilling career, the possibility of becoming a vet tech may have crossed your mind. Completing an associate degree in veterinary technology, in order to become a licensed veterinary technician, is a great first step towards obtaining a job in this exciting, growing field.
Here are just five reasons why you should consider becoming a veterinary technician today:
- Your passion becomes your career: How many people can claim they truly love their job? Being a Vet Tech is hard work, but it comes with the satisfaction that you’re doing what you love: working with animals, and helping them recover from illness and injury. Your days will be filled with the knowledge that you’re making a difference in the lives of animals and the people who love them.
- It opens up diverse job opportunities: Although when most people think of a Vet Tech, the image that comes to mind is a person working at a local small animal clinic, there are lots of opportunities for working as a veterinary technician beyond working with small animals. You could work with large animals, at a zoo or wildlife preserve, or in a public health capacity. The diversity of work available in the veterinary technician field also means lots of demand for qualified professionals.
- Being a vet tech comes with lots of responsibility: Vet Techs help with everything around the veterinary practice, which means that days spent working as a vet tech are varied and always full of surprises. As a Vet Tech, you do everything from helping prep animals for surgery and administer anesthesia to interacting with pet owners, running lab tests, and taking x-rays. The more you prove yourself on the job, the more opportunities you’ll have for growth and responsibility.
- All it takes is two years to change careers: Although many lucrative careers require the completion of a bachelor’s degree, to become a veterinary technician, you’ll only need to attain an A.A.S. (Associate of Applied Science) in Veterinary Technology. With Broadview’s unique CareerPath program, you can save money and attend classes year-round, so you can complete the program in 24 months (Completion time for this program is defined by year-round enrollment and 15 or more credits per quarter).
- It’s a growing field with job opportunities: According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, job opportunities for vet techs are projected to grow faster than the average rate of job growth over the next decade. Also according to the Bureau, certified Vet Techs are in greater demand than veterinary assistants (a position which does not require certification). This means that gaining your A.A.S. in Veterinary Technology, which will prepare you for sitting for the Veterinary Technician National Exam (VTNE) and becoming a Certified Veterinary Technician (CVT) will make you qualified for an exciting and rapidly growing job field.
If you’re ready to embark on your journey to becoming a Vet Tech, Broadview University’s program could be the perfect place to earn your A.A.S. in Veterinary Technology. Contact us today for more information and to begin the application process*.
*Broadview University offers employment assistance to its students and graduates; however, does not guarantee employment. Some states require licensing in order to practice in certain fields of work. Please check with your state to determine if licensing is required in your chosen field prior to employment.
- POSTED IN: